In April 2018 Governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed into law the fiscal year 2019 New York State budget which updated New York State’s sexual harassment laws. In October 2018 the governor announced the release of finalized materials and guidance on New York’s sexual harassment prevention laws.
Visit the New York website https://www.ny.gov/programs/combating-sexual-harassment-workplace for the following information:
- resources for employers, employees, state contractors and targets of sexual harassment.
- model sexual harassment prevention policy
- model sexual harassment complaint form
- model training (script book and PowerPoint presentation)
- minimum standards for sexual harassment prevention policies and trainings
- updated FAQs
The New York website has toolkits for employers and employees. Sexual harassment prevention policy posters are also available.
If you are a New York employer you need to comply with the new law by October 9, 2019.
You should also contact your HR director and your employment attorney for further guidance.